The Allen & Heath ZED-12FX features the DuoPre mic pre-amps, 100mm faders and MusiQ EQ section, and 16 unique effects.
ZED FX are easily controlled using 3 buttons and 9 LEDs. Quickly tap the ideal delay time or 'dial-in' the perfect amount of reverb on the lead vocal. One-stop navigation and editing...in fact, just as easy as your effects pedals. Hold down the TAP button and press the up or down button to alter the effects parameter, for example on patch (9) Plate, this would adjust the decay length. The ZED FX is designed to fulfill all the functions a small band would need without their own sound engineer. The layout features have been arranged to be logical and instantly recognizable at a dark gig - a mixer you can trust to perform.
The USB audio interface, with its uniquely flexible capability, allows different signals to be sent to USB, from LR or from selected aux buses. The USB return signal can be routed straight to the LR mix or to a stereo channel. The connectors are placed on the top surface for easy plugging & patching, and the construction, with individual circuit boards firmly nutted to the top panel, is as rock solid as Allen & Heath's top of the range ML Series mixers.
The ZED FX range currently comprises of the ZED-12FX and the 22FX. Between them they offer a solution for any small group or singer songwriter needing up to 16 mono inputs and 3 stereo inputs. Keyboards, microphones, samplers, the sky is the limit. Each mono channel has an insert point, allowing in-line effects such as compressors to be added to the signal chain, just like our large format mixers.
16 separate effects have been crafted into the ZED-FX range. These include Delay and Reverb, Ping-Pong delay, a selection of reverbs with different room/hall/arena properties, a flanger and a chorus. All have been designed to complement the material the engineer is working with. Each of the effects has a parameter which can be altered: pre-delay can be adjusted, room sizes tweaked, and flanger speed dialled-in. Five of the effects can have their tempo tapped in, and the output auditioned by the FX PFL.
One of the great things about the ZED series is the number and variety of things you can plug in. In addition to the six mono channels there are three dual stereo channels, each with a main stereo input on jack sockets, and with the ability to take additional stereo inputs from phono sockets or from the USB audio input, flexibility gives you control. 6 mic/line channels are provided on ZED-12FX - plenty for mics or DI boxes for a small band, duo or solo performer 4 stereo line inputs - dual inputs, both with gain and 2-band EQ.
Based on the proven pre-amps from the hugely successful PA series, the ZED series has new DuoPreTM pre-amps, which use a two stage design, with carefully controlled amounts of gain in each stage. When amplifying the signal from the XLR input, the gain range is huge - 69dB of range to be exact - and is very evenly distributed around the gain control, meaning better control of signal level. Most of the gain comes from the first stage, so unwanted noise is kept to a minimum. Line level signals are simply plugged into the second stage of the pre-amp by using the line input jack socket, which has the great advantage of less noise when using the line input.
ZED-FX features a musical 3-band EQ derived from the acclaimed GL2400 mixer.
The design utilises MusiQ - optimised slope (or Q factor) for equalising individual instruments.
4 aux sends are provided, of which 1&2 are prefade for foldback monitoring, and 3 & 4 post-fade for effects sends. A stereo signal can be sent from auxes via USB to computer to create 2 separate record feeds independent of the main LR mix (1&2) and or used as FX sends (3&4).
USB audio flexibility
Getting audio to and from a computer easily is now a common requirement for live sound and music production. The way we have implemented this on ZED is super-flexible and super-easy! No longer do you need to fiddle around the back of your PC to get to the soundcard inputs, only to find that the levels are all wrong and noisy. Just plug in a USB lead to your ZED, select the USB routing on the mixer and the device on your computer and that's it! Quality audio to and from your PC or Mac. Three switches provide different send/return configurations for recording, playback and utilising external FX.
The ZED-12FX has been designed using individual vertically mounted circuit boards with each rotary control fixed with a metal nut to the front panel - making a much more robust product that will resist damage and give years of reliable use. ZED also has professional 100mm faders for ultimate control over your levels.
SONAR LE - provided Free!
We have teamed up with Cakewalk to bundle SONAR LE with this ZED mixer. The two team up together in many ways - for example straightforward recording of a stereo mix, recording tracks individually to build up a song, or for inserting a SONAR LE effects plug-in.
Allen & Heath ZED-12FX Features:
- Insert points
- High pass filter
- Stereo imaging control on every channel
- 3-band EQ with swept mid
- 4 auxiliary sends (2 pre, 2 post)
- Global 48V phantom power
- 3 dual stereo inputs with 2-band EQ
- Peak and signal indication on every channel
- Configurable USB stereo audio in/out
- Master level controls on all outputs
- Easy to use layout - all connections and controls on top surface
- Cakewalk SONAR LE bundled with mixer
- Channel mute switches
- Stereo return
- 2-track return
- Advanced monitoring facilities
- 1/4" and 3.5mm headphone outputs
- Stereo record out
- Alternative stereo out
- Mono sum of LR output
- Main LR
- 12-bar LR meters
- Master controls for aux 1&2
Allen & Heath ZED-12FX Specifications:
- Mono channel (XLR) Input +6 to –63dBu for nominal (+17dBu in max)
- Mono channel Line Input (Jack socket) +10 to –26dBu (+30dBu max)
- Insert point (TRS Jack socket) 0dBu nominal +21dBu max.
- Stereo Input (Jack sockets) 0dBu nominal (control =Off to +10dB)
- Stereo input (phono sockets) 0dBu nominal (control = Off to +10dB)< /UL >
- L, R & Mono Outputs (L&R XLR, Mono Jack) 0dBu nominal.+21dBu max.
- Aux Outputs (Jack sockets) 0dBu nominal. +21dBu max.
- Alt Outputs (phono sockets) 0dBu nominal. +21dBu max.
- RecOutputs (phono sockets) 0dBu nominal. +21dBu max.
- Frequency Response:
- Mic in to Mix L/R Out, 30dB gain +0.5/-1dB 20Hz to20kHz.
- Line in to Mix L/R out 0dB gain +0.5/-1dB 10Hz to 30kHz
- Stereo into Mix L/R out +0.5/-1dB 10Hz to 30kHz
- Mic in to Mix L/R Out, 0dB gain 1kHz +10dBu out 0.004%
- Mic into Mix L/R Out, 30dB gain 1kHz 0.014%
- Line in to Mix L/R out 0dB gain 0dBu1kHz 0.005%
- Stereo in to Mix L/R out 0dB gain +10dBu1kHz 0.003
- Analogue Headroom from nominal (0Vu) 21dB
- USB in & out headroom from nominal (0Vu) 14dB
- USB Audio CODEC (Coder/Decoder)
USB Audio In/Out USB 1.1 compliant 16-bit.
Sample Rate 32, 44.1, or 48kHz
Mic Pre EIN @ max gain 150Rinput Z 22-22kHz -127dBu
- Dimensions: 3.9" H x 15.2" W x 17.7" D
- Weight: 14.3 lbs